Forum Discussion

StefanoRezende
Participant
2 months ago

Dynamic Applications - SNMP Performance

Hello fellow members.

I humbly come to ask for help about a problem we are facing in our EM7 system.  We've created some SNMP Performance Dynamic Applications that the OIDs return OctetString values, such as "20 mbar". Then, how could we treat this data in order to plot it in Device Performance? 

We are avoiding to create a python snippet, cause this system have an old python version installed and most compatible SNMP libraries are not available anymore.

EM7 Version: EM7 G3 - 8.7.1 - Build 211

Bellow finds some pictures to help understand this issue:

Device Performance without any data because it cannot read OctetString.

Collection Objects. Each object returns a differente type of value, i.e. Cycle Time returns a integer and Output Pressure returns a OctetString.

MIB Browser Result.

Anybody could assist us?

Thanks in advance.

• Converting to a Snippet DA to extract the numeric data out of the string before assigning it to a collection object is the best option.

We do have a feature called "Extending the SNMP OID Field" documented here https://docs.sciencelogic.com/latest/Content/Web_Content_Dev_and_Integration/SNMP_Dynamic_App_Development/snmp_collection_objects.htm?Highlight=snmp%20extended#extending-the-snmp-oid-field I'm pretty sure it's capable of including necessary Python to extract the numeric data in the SNMP OID result.  However, none of the examples in the documentation cover it.  You can look at the "OSPF Neighbors Configuration" DA from the Generic Switch Router MIB Support PowerPack to see how complex an SNMP OID entry can be using that feature.  The Python code in a Snippet DA is likely easier to create and support than a very complex use of extending the SNMP OID field.

Regards,

Erick

• Thanks Erick for your answer, it helped us alot. 

We gave up on SNMP DA, this extended SNMP field is so much complex, it is beyond our knowledge. Then, we've started to develop a Snippet DA, which seams working properly.

Best Regards.