Forum Discussion

piyushkumar21
Participant
2 months ago

How to Fix powershell communication error?

How to Fix powershell communication error Forward and reverse name resolution is not properly configured for server?

We have multiple windows server in which we are facing this issue and server have multiple DNS entries and we can delete them. also i tried to add IP and host in sciencelogic data collector also added in dnsmsaq-resolve.conf to resolve this issue but still we are facing this error Forward and reverse name resolution is not properly configured for server, how to fix this issue without deleting DNS entries.

• Adding an entry to the hosts file should solve the forward/reverse name lookup issue.  It can be done in the SL1 UI under System > Customize > Host Files or using the collection CLI to edit the file /etc/hosts.  There is also an API if this needs to be done at scale and automated.

I'd recommend including both the hostname and the fully qualified domain name as follows:

10.1.0.10 hostname hostname.domain.com

If you are still getting the forward/reverse resolution error, then please open a support case for assistance.

Regards,

Erick

• If Erick's answer resolved your question, please mark this topic as Solved. Thank you

• ErickBurgess  yes i have made changes in Host file as suggested but still it is not resolving and credential test is also getting failed.

nslookup 

is there any other way to fix this or should i raise case with Support.

ErickBurgess
      Icon for Moderator rankModerator

I think it's best to open a support case.  You could be hitting an issue with the use of the hosts file or something beyond name resolution is causing a problem. If you are using an older SL1 version prior to 11.3 and the Concurrent PowerShell feature, the container needs to be restarted to see updates in the hosts file.  If you are using 11.3.x to 12.1.0 there is an issue where dnsmasq service needs to be restarted after updates to the hosts file.  If you are on 12.1.1 or newer, then those issues wouldn't apply.

As a side note, nslookup is a DNS utility.  It doesn't check the /etc/hosts file.

Regards,

Erick