Forum Discussion

Ishanc
Icon for Contributor rankContributor
13 days ago

Persistent DA after device unavailable

Is it possible to make a dynamic app to keep collecting data even when a device becomes unavailable(e.g. Device failed availability check: icmp) ?

• Hello Ishanc,

No, it is not possible for SL1 to collect data for devices that are unavailable. Whenever SL1 goes to collect data from a device, it first checks to make sure the device is available. If it is, then it collects the data. If it is not, then collection is skipped. 

Antonio Andres

Senior Technical Support Engineer | ScienceLogic

• Hello Ishanc,

No, it is not possible for SL1 to collect data for devices that are unavailable. Whenever SL1 goes to collect data from a device, it first checks to make sure the device is available. If it is, then it collects the data. If it is not, then collection is skipped. 

Antonio Andres

Senior Technical Support Engineer | ScienceLogic

TaylorJohnson
      Icon for Moderator rankModerator

To add onto this. "Availability" is not as much a check of whether the device is online and working as much as it is a tool that SL1 itself uses to determine whether or not to attempt to collections. 

You mentioned ICMP Ping, but component availability does not use this and you can turn off the availability check for components, which will allow DA execution to still happen. We have started to shift to delivering some PowerPacks without the availability check for components because sometimes it makes sense to continue collection even if the check fails. 

You can configure a device to just not flip to "unavailable" if you want DA collection to continue attempts. This should be done with caution as if the device truly is unreachable from the SL1 collector, then letting Dynamic Applications run against it will waste collector resources, especially if they have a long timeout. 

Ishanc
        Icon for Contributor rankContributor

TaylorJohnsonThanks for inputs, how can I configure a device to not flip to "unavailable", I think this might work for me.