Forum Discussion

Alfred_Heijkoop
Contributor III
4 months ago

Release notes for Agents

The versions of the agents are more or less independent from the SL1 releases. This is giving the flexibility to release and install agents in faster cycle. 

By making it a independent software component the need for release information becomes crucial. The information in the SL1 release notes does not comply anymore.

Is it possible to post the Release Note for agents on a site?

It should contain the normal topics, versions, fixed issues, new features, known issues, dependencies etc.

Thanks in advance.  

• The SL1 Agent doesn't have it's own Release Notes because we do not formally release it outside of SL1 releases.  We do occasionally provide a new version of the agent during support cases to fix the reported issue.  This is similar drop file provided during support cases to fix an SL1 issue.

Publishing Release Notes would require a method to release and install that agents.  This isn't a problem for Gen3 Agent users as the container including the agent packages are published to Harbor.  It is a problem for Gen1 Agent users as there isn't a way to install the agent packages outside of SL1 upgrades.

I'll discuss with Release Management and Documentation teams.

Regards,

Erick

• The SL1 Agent doesn't have it's own Release Notes because we do not formally release it outside of SL1 releases.  We do occasionally provide a new version of the agent during support cases to fix the reported issue.  This is similar drop file provided during support cases to fix an SL1 issue.

Publishing Release Notes would require a method to release and install that agents.  This isn't a problem for Gen3 Agent users as the container including the agent packages are published to Harbor.  It is a problem for Gen1 Agent users as there isn't a way to install the agent packages outside of SL1 upgrades.

I'll discuss with Release Management and Documentation teams.

Regards,

Erick

Alfred_Heijkoop
      Contributor III

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot. 

From best practices, I think it should good to follow a certain release process. 
      From customer end we now what is delivered (and what not) and how to install. From engineering, SRE and Support prospective you might want to know as well what is fixed in which version so you can apply forward fixes on those to the next branch.
      No surprises anymore in your QA cycle!

If needed, you can always include me in discussion-meeting.

Looking forward to your response.

Alfred Heijkoop